Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Journey Westward!

I did the trip out to Denver essentially over 3 days with my amazing friend Beth.  Our first day included treking over the the mountains of PA and Ohio (sometimes at a runaway speed of 40 mph with the trailer) to spend a wonderful first night in Indianapolis, IN with a friend o' Beth's from college.  In general, I was totally blown away by the lovely and dynamic cities of the midwest that we experienced along the way - definitely an unexpected surprise!  For instance, we shared a lovely dinner with old and new friends at Black Market, which I would recommend you visit were you ever to find yourself in Indianapolis. 


Bye, PA!



Day 2 consisted of an only marginally flatter drive to Lawrence, KS where we enjoyed the hospitality of a friend's parents.  Along the way, we broke up our journey with a trip to a winery we spotted along I-70 in the booming metropolis of Hermann, MO called Stone Hill.  Did you know that Missouri was a wine producing hotspot pre-prohibition?  Me neither. We also made a stop in Kansas City for some delicious bbq at Jack Stack and got all of the recommendations that had been given to us - hickory pit beans, cheesy corn bake, cole slaw, and........BURNT ENDS!



Arch-tacular

Finally, on day 3 we made the long trek across Kansas, where I only had 1 mild weather related meltdown - those thunderstorms make some serious noise and light!  Thanks again for driving that part, Beth.  Luckily the weather cleared by the time we got to the western end of the state so we could make sure to catch the world's largest easle:
Can you spot the Pizza Hut?
Then, it was a safe (and on time) arrival in Denver.  Julie will be pleased to know that we read interesting road signs aloud to each other the whole way from PA to CO.  In addition, all state road sign credits go to Beth, as the ones I was responsible for taking pictures of turned out like this:



.....it needs some work.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment